View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 08:34 AM   #5
tbeard1999

Default Re: Shifting Rule and Pivoting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
"PIVOTING
Currently, a figure that moves second can move into the side or rear hex of an enemy figure and the enemy figure cannot turn to face him. In many (most?) - cases, that's an absurd occurrence enabled by the TFT sequential movement system. Sorta like "panzerbushing".

That's not entirely true. If I have to move first and just stand there like a lump of meat then I think I should expect to be flanked by the opponent who moves second.]
Well, I didn't say it was *entirely* true; I said that in many, perhaps most, cases it produces an absurd result.

And I don't know why you'd expect to be flanked by an opponent, particularly when you are not engaged. In real combat, we do not freeze while our enemy moves around us. The turn sequencing is an artificial game construct. My proposal mitigates the wholly artificial tactics that a sequential movement inevitably enables. (The rule is actually lifted from my miniature rules "A Fistful of TOWs").

And, it still allows you to realistically pin opponents. If figure A engages in X's left front hex (for instance) and figure B engages in his right flank hex, X can pivot to face B, but will be exposed to a flank attack from A.

Quote:
But I have other options:

A) I can move to engage the opponent and "pin him in place." As long as I engage him directly (i.e. he is in my middle front hex) the most he can do on his turn is shift to my left or right front. He can't get to my side or rear because he is engaged and can only shift one hex.

B) I can move away from the opponent so that he can't reach me and attack or reach me to the side/rear, or reach me at all, depending on what I wantto do.

I think what you're doing takes away some of that "chess-like" decision making. That's fine if it's what you want, but it's not the way the rules are written which I think give a more meaningful choice as to whether to move first or second.
That may be true, but I still think it enables wholly artificial tactics. I don't like that, especially when the fix is incredibly simple and intuitive.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote