View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 08:12 AM   #2
zot

Default Re: Shifting Rule and Pivoting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
I'd like to lobby for a modification of the shifting rule and the inclusion of a pivot option. These modifications are more relevant to larger (i.e., the roleplaying game) than to smaller arena games.

SHIFTING

Currently, an engaged figure may shift one hex, but he cannot break engagement. To allow combats to be more fluid (and to make winning initiative a little more valuable), my group always allowed an engaged figure shift one hex, even if it broke engagement. However, the figure had to remain engaged with at least one opponent.

That always played well for us. Once, we went back to the rules as written and my players did not like it.

If that seems too fluid, you could allow a "counter-shift": one enemy figure that becomes unengaged BY THE SHIFTING FIGURE can shift into the hex the friendly figure vacated. If the enemy figure breaks engagement, then allow a friendly figure to counter-shift. And so on. We never playtested this idea, so I have no opinion (yet) on how it affects the game.

PIVOTING
Currently, a figure that moves second can move into the side or rear hex of an enemy figure and the enemy figure cannot turn to face him. In many (most?) - cases, that's an absurd occurrence enabled by the TFT sequential movement system. Sorta like "panzerbushing".

I propose that figures be allowed to change facing ("pivot") after the last side moves, if an enemy figure started in the front arc and moved into the figure's side or rear hex. This does not count as movement and does not cost any movement points.

This would prevent the unrealistic occurrences, yet appropriately penalize a figure who turns his back to an enemy (or is surprised by an enemy).
By my reading, you CAN break engagement as long as you remain adjacent to figures with which you are engaged. This would allow you to shift from a front hex to a side hex, which would break engagement.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote