View Single Post
Old 03-08-2022, 09:43 PM   #14
Infornific

Default Re: Heavily modified (logarithmic) damage system for GURPS: feedback wanted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
You'd need to use the rules for layering armor here, essentially treating TR as though it were another layer. Note this means a TR 10 average human would need AV 7+ armor - equivalent to DR 4-5 - before there would be any benefit to wearing it (of course, I think I've seen mention in the past that historical armors tended to give DR 4+). You lose more resolution, but gain more simplicity... although you'd probably need to shift DV or AV+TR (either +4 to DV or -4 to AV and TR), as there's no longer the armor adjustment.
Mine was a little more complicated. Basically, you combined AV & TR as follows:

If AV>TR, effective Toughness is the higher of

1. 3+AV-((AV-TR)/2)
2. AV

If TR>AV, effective Toughness is the higher of

1. 3+TR-((TR-AV)/2)
2. TR

So if TR is 6 or more higher than AV, the armor is ineffective. My conversion for DR was slower - I assumed DR is quadratic (i.e., 2 DR is four times. So my armor value would be something like:

(log(GURPS DR)*12)+7.

So mail with DR 4 would have an armor value of 14. A character with TR 10 wearing that armor would have a net Toughness of 3+14-((14-10)/2) or 15. Leather Armor would have a value of 11 or so - still providing a little benefit to someone with Toughness 15 or less.
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote