View Single Post
Old 03-08-2022, 02:28 PM   #11
Varyon

Default Re: Heavily modified (logarithmic) damage system for GURPS: feedback wanted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Ahah! that's it! I wonder if using AV -Infinity wouldn't make more sense.

I mean, 1d-5 is pretty pointless already. Having human skin at AV 0 isn't terrible. Setting it to -1 might work well.

Since we're already using tables and bumping things numbers up from the Size and Range table, I'm curious if a different bump number isn't desirable.
I think I agree that having 1d-5 be largely incapable of causing Injury to a human is probably fine. An average of 0.17 damage and an average of 0 damage aren't that far removed.

I think his current ranges work well (after adjusting TR to be 10 at HP 10, which makes damage work better as well). Consider:

1d-5 is about as low as you can get in damage in GURPS. Having it be DV 1 is intuitive.

This results in human skin being around AV 0, for the baseline. Humans as baseline is intuitive, and rather baked-in to how GURPS normally functions.

Average TR is 10. Given TR is a statistic for the character, this works intuitively for those used to GURPS - above 10 means above-average resilience, below 10 means below-average resilience.