View Single Post
Old 02-09-2020, 05:14 AM   #145
Icelander

Default Re: Tracking Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Yes, and the range is with Long-Range Modifiers, which costs you 6 for 100 miles. You don't need subject weight for spells that "have a purely mental effect" (Thaumatology: RPM, p. 18).

This is a fairly easy working with RPM; I'm becoming quite fond of simple-but-effective spells like this. Note that this is entirely detectable by anyone who can detect magic on the subject. My way of dealing with this is the +25% enhancement "No Magical Signature", which is "No Psionic Signature" from Psionic Powers, re-skinned for magic.
Cool.

That means that 'Nonc' Morel can cast, in 36 seconds, this tracking ritual that costs 19 energy. It's Lesser Sense Body + Duration (6) + Range (6).

Morel will get a single Quirk* on his ritual, but successfully cast the spell (because he used Luck). In narrative terms, what he's doing is smelling/tasting the blood oozing from the wounded pishtaco into the ocean. My roll for the Quirk is that he gains 'Unluckiness' for a single misfortune, which... okay, sounds good to me.

Hmm... one of the examples given for 'Unluckiness' is that enemies show up at an unfortunate time. So, whatever kind of shark or other carnivorous piscine type that might be swimming near the waters of Galveston Bay will suddenly find themselves attracted to the smell/taste of that same blood and arrive looking for it.

Of course, most sharks are not much of a threat to humans, but I'm assuming that once they are on scene, He Who Hungers in the Deep will have the requisite abilities to turn them against any PCs 'brave' enough to be in the water and possibly, if he can get some magical energy anywhere, enhance them with his Outsider powers so that they'll be less mundane sharks and more baby luscas.

I can even find news articles talking about the increase in shark sightings around Galveston in 2018, blaming it on a 'vortex' of some kind. Bull sharks, tiger sharks and hammerheads. Yay!

*Player won't be able to make it to the session today, so I rolled for him. Looks like he'll be acting as the quest-giving NPC for today.

Last edited by Icelander; 02-09-2020 at 05:20 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote