View Single Post
Old 10-22-2021, 10:41 AM   #10
GURPS Fox

Default Re: Crew and Passenger positions and suits/powered armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
If you've got a suit volume already, that "multiply... by suit volume/4" part works fine. If you don't have a suit volume, then assuming someone wearing a suit that makes them 3x as heavy is also going to have 3x the volume is going to result in assuming the suits are far larger than they really should be (because the suit is going to be denser than the person wearing it). You just need to figure out a volume for your suit that makes sense.
Damn, good to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
At the level of detail you' appear to be attempting to work at you probably can not get this to work. After re-reading your original post you appear to be trying to figure out how large the chairs are after they've been designed to comfortably seat a person (not necessarily an average human) who's wearing a 550 lb Battlesuit.

Gurps and even Ve2 do not work at this fine a level of detail.

However, you'e mostly looking at SM+1 users weighing 700 lbs or more (like the Heavy Battlesuits in UT). Your Crew seats need to be able to handle 5x the weight (at least) which _might_ mean they need to be that much more expensive.

However, they won't need to be that much more bulky as Battlesuit systems are bound to be denser than human flesh, Also, the weight bearing frames of furniture take up a only a small portion of the furnitures volume.

A SM+1 Battlesuit like the one in UT is described as being 7 ft tall and would be circa 1.2x taller and proportionately broader. You could cube 1.2 and round up to 2 and make all Crew components take up 2x volume and _maybe_ cost 5x as much for the weight.

I caution you that all this is broadly-based guesswork. Everything about battlesuits is speculative.

Also, I think you're 500 lbs suits are too big for persons manning crew stations. I wouldn't go over the 150 lb suits in Basic or UT or even more likely the 45lb Space Armor.
The thing is that the basic assault rifles in the setting are around (using a modified version of the sqrt(KE^1.04/Xsect^0.314)/13.3926=# of dice, but have 13.3926 replaced with 46.8741 to make the dice numbers more even from what I've been told) 9d+2 in general, with battle rifle rounds being around 14d+1, so the only way to get your soldiers to not rebel on you (even fanatical troops would pause a moment when facing such weapons) is clad them in power armor which has enough armor to at least blunt the impact.
GURPS Fox is offline   Reply With Quote