View Single Post
Old 10-22-2021, 09:29 AM   #7
GURPS Fox

Default Re: Crew and Passenger positions and suits/powered armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
This is covered on p.80 of Ve2 under "Battlesuit systems".

I don't have Gurps Vehicle Builder installed on this computer but I was one of the betatesters lo those many years ago. If i remember correctly Battlesuit System" was one of the choices from the "Crew and Passengers" folder.
From my attempts at using Battlesuit systems, it is far more useful for things like higher-end Battletech Battlearmor (i.e. anything a metric ton or more) than smaller units. Believe me, I've tried. Please note that, in addition to that, they're wearing it the entire time they're seated...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
This sounds like you're assuming the powered armor has the same density as the person wearing it. Unless your "powered armor" is a flesh-and-blood (and bone-and-muscle) organism, or is designed to float unaided in water, this is unlikely. So, a person in powered armor may weigh 250kg, but chances are good the armor has markedly higher density than the ~70kg person inside. A person has a density around 1 g/mL (same as water); a block of steel has a density around 8 g/mL. Assume the density of a suit of powered armor works out to roughly 50% that of steel (there's a lot of steel there, but also a lot of empty space, and synthetic muscle is probably less dense than steel, so 50% is probably good-enough for a back-of-the-envelope calculation). With the 70 kg pilot having a density of 1 g/mL, and the 180kg suit having a density of 4 g/mL, you're looking at an average density of 3.16 g/mL, which ultimately works out to your "guy in a suit" taking up about 1.15x as much volume as the guy would without the suit.
So, I've been doing that wrong then? Because I've trying to figure out how to get this to work:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA Lloyd's GURPS Vehicles Additions, Chapter 6
Statistics for crew stations, passenger seats, mecha cockpits and so on assume the occupant will be a typical human - 1.5 to 2 meters tall, under a meter broad, around 150 pounds, and of course human shaped.

Multiply the volume of seats designed to hold suited humans by suit volume/4 if the suit is larger than 4 cf.

Seats designed for another species multiply all statistics by the average species weight/150.

Races with similar body plans can use stations designed for each other if their sizes are within a factor of 2, though not comfortably. It is often impossible to design a crew station that will work properly for two species with very different sizes or body plans, there really isn't any way to build mechanical controls that will work for both a human and a cidi for example, but if the GM permits it use the statistics for the larger species and multiply by 1.2.
GURPS Fox is offline   Reply With Quote