View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 03:47 PM   #37
Icelander

Default CATI and Apparently An Important Monster Hunting Contact

I love little coincidences.

Some of the PCs in my game are Reserve Deputies at the Sheriff's Office at Jefferson County, Texas (located at Beaumont*), which is a place where their eccentric billionaire Patron has a lot of influence. The PCs find that such official status is convenient for legal purposes, as even if they don't have much jurisdiction elsewhere, professional courtesy means that law enforcement officers may have an easier time talking themselves out of trouble if apprehended in relation to a Monster Hunting incident.

When I was reading various sources on Rio de Janeiro and Espirito Santo, the two Brazilian states where supernatural influences and creatures are the most threat, I found that a company named CATI trained actors in Tropa de Elite 2 in how to perform as tactical team members, arrest techniques, etc.

CATI company apparently does tactical training for Brazilian police, as well as police in other locations. It was founded by a military veteran from Espirito Santo, Marcos do Val, who is actually now a Senator for the state of Espirito Santo.**

As it turns out, not only has CATI trained Vatican security, but they've apparently formed a close relationship with the police in Beaumont, TX. In fact, Marcos do Val is an honorary member of the Beaumont SWAT and from what I can find out online, in the last 10-15 years he and other CATI personnel have made regular visits to Beaumont teaching Aikido/BJJ/Taekwondo, arrest techniques, police tactics and de-escalation methods.

From my perspective, it looks like CATI has connections with multiple aspects of Brazilian monster hunter efforts and its founder is now part of the democratically elected government of Brazil, well, at least he is a representative of one of the two states most affected by the supernatural threat. They also seem to be involved in the secret Vatican-backed anti-supernatural efforts and to have a long-standing relationship with Kessler, in Beaumont.

In fact, Marcos do Val is probably Kessler's best source about events in Brazil and who he'd use as a go-between for attempts at cooperation with Brazilian hunters. Obviously, the real Senator will probably bear little resemblance to the fictional version of him who'll be an NPC in my campaign, but I'll try to avoid directly contradicting any sources I can find.***

*Close by Galveston, where the PCs' Patron, J.R. Kessler, was born and where he likes to spend time.
**Marcos do Val also has a relationship with Taurus, a company I had considered having a friendly contact or two with Brazilian monster hunters.
***Though I will clearly be interpreting everything through a Kenneth Hite-ian lens of illumination in theory and practice.