View Single Post
Old 12-12-2014, 06:20 AM   #72
Tomsdad

Default Re: Unarmed vs. Knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Yeah, I seem to be answering separate issues in different approaches without clear markers. Sorry.
No worries

Quote:
But how does he do that?

Turn U1: Wait.
Turn K1: Step into Reach 1, make any facing adjustment if necessary.
* U's Wait is triggered. U1 makes two steps into K's front-left hex, maybe Feints.
How is he doing two steps here, that's a CA at minimum (no feint as that's limited to 1 step), so if he's attacking with reach 1 he could get the side attack benefit here, but he won't be grappling because he needs another step to get into CC (3 hex movement in total). Again what we are trying to here model is important here.

Also when you say front left hex, do you mean left side hex?

Quote:
* interrupt complete, K1 continues, being forced to attack as a Wild Swing or with a left-hand punch/kick.
I go with left hand punch (and leverage in some way the reduced defences that U1 will no be suffering from) However I think if your in a side hex all attacks would be wild? (the weapon side only matter for parrying to attacks from the side IIRC)

However here' where it gets into reading of the wording GURPS pg386 regarding Step says:

"You may change facing
freely before or after you
move"

If your wait is triggered by the target moving towards you one hex but before he attacks, when does the face change occur? Is you wait actually after he move forward after he does or doesn't change facing but before he attacks, or after he moves but before he changes facing and attacks?

These are getting to be pretty precise Waits considering the basic premise is all this is happening at the same time (but you and I may treat waits a bit differently as per last thread)

Quote:
Turn U2: do whatever is appropriate. K will defend if possible.
Probably defend with a side step to get back into face to face relative position.

Quote:
Turn K2: K can now turn, unless grappled. If grappled, K has all sorts of problems.
True, but now we get in to the facing while grappling issues (as per above) and he still has his knife.

Quote:
The side-hex defence penalty is guaranteed, and it stacks with Feints.
Wait and feint in general works well in combination because you get to immediate follow up on the feint move and result all while the target is frozen in time (depending on how you interpret the free facing change)

Quote:
The Feint is there largely to prevent a knife cut to the grappling arm.
If your talking about the parry to the following grapple attack, that's not the one I'm worried about. Its the following knife attack you'll face while you're doing a two armed grapple to the arm without the knife, that concerns me. Because you'll have to grapple one handed in order to parry or rely on dodge and if you retreat you lose your grapple.

Quote:
How? You Feint on his turn after his Step is spent.
If it's tied to a wait, if you not doing waits it's You go: step and feint, I go step and/or adjust facing attack, You go facing back to where it was (but you get any feint benefit)

You need to define you terms of the set up here. there's a lot of assumed waits, and the target just moving forwards and attacking etc.

Also just think about feints and unarmed combat, a feint can only happen if the supposed attack is in reach, so that means to do an unarmed feint you have to be in CC, or feinting off kicking?

EDIT: unless you saying well "I could in theory do a AoA(L) and grapple at reach 1", but that to me over balances feint.

Quote:
I'm actually considering tactics for a similar situation, but with both skills lower. I'm seriously considering whether I want to raise Arm Lock above default, because those [4] also provide more different benefits: +½ Parry, +1 to Power Grappling benefits (which basically means GripST), and +1 to many other techniques like Choke Hold and Breakfall.

Arm Lock is cool for its +4 to resist Breaking Free and cumulative -1 to Break Free, which is important against an armed opponent. I'm also tempted by the potential use as two levels of Deceptive Attack.
Arm lock's one of the skills which works well when getting your opponent into a situation that favours you and dis favours him.

But it does that best by removing his area of advantage.

So you facing the chap with the knife, you arm lock the knife wielding hand (and a high arm lock skill means you more likely to avoid getting parried with knife while doing so), but getting the arm lock means that you can not only do damage (through the lock) but stop him form damaging you (from the knife)

one last thing all this changes again if you use T-bones variable defence at different reaches tweak!

Last edited by Tomsdad; 12-12-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote