View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 09:49 AM   #30
TheOneRonin

Default Re: Unarmed vs. Knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
The real beauty of this approach is that you can slip to the the non-weapon side (the knife-wielder's left side assuming he's holding the knife in his right). That way, even if he defends against the arm lock (or whatever you're trying to do to him), he can't damage you with the knife as part of that parry.
I'm not 100% sure how that is going to work.

Are you trying to Arm Lock his attacking arm? If so, he should still get the chance to Parry your Arm Lock with his Knife.

Are you trying to Arm Lock his non-attacking arm? I'm not sure you can do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martial Arts, pg 65
To use Arm Lock, you must have two hands free and make a successful barehanded parry with Judo or Wrestling against your opponent’s melee attack. On your first turn following the parry, you may attempt to capture your attacker’s arm if he’s still within one yard. This is an attack: step into
close combat and roll against Arm Lock to hit. Your foe may use any active defense – he can parry your hand with a weapon! If his defense fails, you trap his arm.
It doesn't specifically say that you MUST capture the attacking arm, but I'm sure that was Peter's intent.

If you've locked up the other arm, he can still attack you with the knife. I'm going to have to do some refresher reading before I can say definitively if it would be a wild swing or not.

But like Tomsdad said, you really want to get control of the knife hand/arm.
TheOneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote