View Single Post
Old 08-09-2022, 05:14 AM   #36
Lovewyrm

Default Re: You got magic in my scifi game!

Magic in sci fi games?
That could very well be a completely natural aspect of humanity, think placebos that heal people 'right now', but with less interference due to the world being tech and science heavy, 'superstition based noise' is reduced and thus magic is more potent...

For those who can use it due to the investment in it.
Which is anyone.,
It's just that tapping into it is a bit equivalent to setting up your own xmpp/jabber server to evade discord, or using pgp to encrypt your mails instead of just using gmail, 'today'.

Something that most people don't bother and their tech gets similar effects anyway.
(Exploding a head with a plasma rifle vs sitting at home and concentrating on that, causing a cause and effect chain that has the victim ultimately run over the head by a cyber bus )

And since that is probably too extreme, it can be time compressed. Hocus pocus eat fireball vs squeeze the trigger and eat plasma ball.

Disruption of this magic can be done by anyone too, simply hammer the mage with mental noise, a barrage of asinine surface level stuff like "our earth is flat" to wives tales, horoscope tier mysticism etc.

Keeping in thematicism with the premise that the more tech is used, the less people indulge in magical thinking, the less polluted the magical fabric of the world is (which actually internally uses a proper way/logic and thus CAN be affected and tainted by nonsense) and the easier it is for those 'into it' to master it, but again, they too need to be quasi technological about it.

You can't put circuits toghether willy nilly to have a high tech device (unless you're, I don't know, lucky or some sort of savant or whatever), and you can't put magic together willy nilly by doing something completely unsuited for its innate nature.

It's just something that most people don't bother with.

As for actually putting something like that into a game.
Well, it's been said already, it could simply be indistinguishable from magic anyway, tech.

Edit:
And to add to the 'warding via nonsense' bit.

It could give cyber/information warfare a new angle, too.

Where troll wars are actually magical, and letting 'info agent squads' reign free, then their messages and the like could actually have an effect.
And troll bait that already stops people in their tracks even today can disrupt it.

That is probably a goofy, cinematic angle, though...but I gotta say, I'm kinda liking it.
Your spell of shaping the public mind is almost done, but this guy is a hacker, his post can't be erased by normal means, and he just threw in some extremely potent bait that hijacks the thoughts of the readers and leads it into nonsense!
Curses! Foiled again!

Last edited by Lovewyrm; 08-09-2022 at 05:21 AM.
Lovewyrm is offline   Reply With Quote