View Single Post
Old 12-08-2021, 01:01 PM   #12
Donny Brook

Default Re: [Basic]What skills for a long con or ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I'm not sure that would be appropriate. Normally a professional skill involves work that you just do, dealing with data, or objects, or administrative procedures, or that sort of thing. It doesn't normally involve a contest against another person, such as is involved in things like force and fraud. But con games pretty much by definition involve a contest of the con man's skill against the victim's skill, Will, or IQ. I don't think GURPS usually does that sort of thing.

I think the primary skill for a long con is either Acting or Psychology (Applied) to get the mark off guard and/or tempt them. I think that each specific con starts out as one of those. Then if you make a specialty of it you can turn it into a technique and buy it up from the primary skill.
I get Acting as elementary to doing the con. I'm trying to figure out what you need to devise/plan it. Psychology (Applied) seems kind of better, but I'm not totally convinced by that either.

Like think of the movie The Sting. Psychology tells you how Doyle Lonnegan would react to the machinations at various stages, but does it tell you what those machinations should be and how to implement them?
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote