View Single Post
Old 11-19-2021, 07:48 AM   #22
Varyon

Default Re: [High Tech/Tactical Shooting] Reloading Your Shotgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFix View Post
One thing to note - GURPS understainds "Double Loading" as drawing two shots separately and THEN loading them together. That's why it shaves off only 1 second per 2 shells. If you drew both shots at the same time AND inserted them at the same time, it would shave off 2 seconds pair pair of shots. I suppose using Multiple Fast-Draw can be used to draw 2 shells instead of just 1.
I interpret Double Loading as involving grabbing two shells at once and loading them up together. The reason this doesn't quite cut reload time in half is because, while reloading two at once takes less time than reloading one at a time twice, it still takes longer than reloading one at a time once. Because of the weird every-3-shots oddity of shotguns, it works out to reducing the time to load the first two shells from 3 seconds to 2 seconds, the time to load the second two also from 3 to 2, and the time to reload the third set of two from 4 to 3. At work and thus away from my books, but I think Double-Loading does cut the time to load individual rounds into a revolver in half. It's normally either 2 seconds per round (one to draw, one to load, for those with auto-ejectors) or 3 seconds per round (as above, plus another second to pull out the shell casing). Fast-Draw reduces these to 1 second and 2 seconds, respectively - for 2 seconds or 4 seconds to reload 2 shots. Double-Loading shaves a second off the first case, reducing it to one (half the time); it shaves two seconds off the second case (reduces the time to pull out the spent casings as well, for overall half the time). Naturally, gate-fed weapons get the short end of the stick again.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think just letting gate-loaded weapons be reloaded "too fast" would be better all around. So, one second per round with Fast-Draw, one second for two rounds with Double-Loading, free action per round (but suffer mounting penalties on further reloads within the same second) with Fast-Draw + Quick Reload, and possibly even a free action per two rounds with Double-Loading + Quick Reload. That's absolutely not RAW or RAI, but I don't think it would really break anything.