Thread: Silly Cars
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2021, 04:12 PM   #15
swordtart

Default Re: Silly Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by juris View Post
Hmm, aren't tripod weapons supposed to be fired... from a tripod fixed on the ground, not Rambo style from the hip?

UACFH is confusing. It says tripod weapons cannot be used by normal passengers in a vehicle (p142). But then it says a passenger who wants to use a tripod weapon takes an additional space.

That's some crystal clear writing

I'd say if you want to fire tripod-like weapons from inside a vehicle you'd have to use an articulated mount from Chassis and Crossbow. If you just wanted to cart them around, I'd be fine with your crazy bike, but then your guys would be Dragoons and would have to dismount to fire.
No-one is suggesting firing tripod weapons from the hip here. I think the logic is that a tripod could be as easily fixed on any horizontal surface, not just the ground. Pick-up beds are the most usual example, but there are plenty of others e.g. mounted on the floors of vans and helos to be fired out of the side doors. I cited a RL example where a tripod weapon (on an actual tripod) was mounted on a bike as fielded equipment by a real army and could be fired whilst mounted (as well as dismounted). That passes the CW letter of the rules and real-life credible test for me.

I take "Normal" passenger to be the 1 space variety. I therefore saw no confusion. It is open to interpretation if other non-"normal" passenger (bus passengers take up 2 spaces for example) also require an extra space (I'd say yes).

That said pillion passenger is pushing it, but technically a pillion passenger suffers no disadvantage vs a conventional passenger on a bike (whatever that means) as long as you pay the extra space, it is legal.

Articulated mounts (and pintles* for that matter) are different things you can take a tripod mount off a truck bed and put it on the ground, you can't do that with articulated mounts.

*Hmm. Pintles take up no space and can be mounted on a vehicle that has no top armour. A bike has no top armour (unless it has a cycle shell). So another approach would be to mount the weapons on those instead... In effect we can have a bike with two side sponsons :) Of course these weapons would definitely add weight even under the GE pedestrian equipment rule. Wait out...

Last edited by swordtart; 08-19-2021 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Thinking on pintles...
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote