View Single Post
Old 02-20-2016, 11:50 AM   #10
Gigermann

Default Re: [SE] Selling fish to a fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I thought it rather was the point:
I don't disagree on any of the particulars. I should probably refer to the situation as "improbable" rather than "impossible." The "headsman" is probably the best example here.

If a PC plays a skilled Face Man type, he's going to expect to be able to talk his way out of pretty much anything. As a GM, I don't want to arbitrarily take that away from him, but I don't want to be unrealistic either. Talking the headsman into letting him go should be highly "improbable" (but not "impossible" as has been anecdotally demonstrated)—I can think of a few scenarios that might be a tough sell, but feasible. On the other hand, if it were easy (or in this case, not hard enough), everyone would do it. So my original point was, "how hard is hard enough?"

-10 is certainly arbitrary, but it's treated in a number of cases within RAW as a benchmark for "impossible," and that's really my only reason for mentioning it. But a Very Beautiful woman with Sex-Appeal 16 has a better-than-zero chance of convincing a non-neutered male headsman with Will 10 to let her go, even at -10. So I guess what I'm really asking is whether or not the general GURPS community thinks that's okay, or it should be harder than that? Or should it actually be easier?

Is one-in-a-billion chance "no roll at all" or "-20?"
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote