View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 11:36 PM   #46
RedMattis

Default Re: Skills - maybe this game isn't what I'm looking for

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaman14 View Post
The characters are not driving the game but rather experiencing it. I will not even have backstories for characters or in the least the backstory will be minimal. For sure the adventures are not built around the character.
Why no backstories for the characters though?

Some backstory which explains why the characters are adventuring together can help make roleplaying easier for characters even if (hypothetically) the characters are forced together and forward by some narrative.

F.ex. one character being the twin sister of the other, and that character having fought in a war alongside another older character. Perhaps the twins are driven by dreams of future greatness, while the older soldier is trying to keep them safe, but also interested in seeing where it all leads.

That sort of thing creates more natural-feeling party-dynamics than the typical "An elf, a dwarf, and a bard sat at an inn", in my experience.