View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 06:25 PM   #43
Stormcrow

Default Re: Skills - maybe this game isn't what I'm looking for

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaman14 View Post
I plan on playing in other GURPS games as far as I can find them. This is what I meant about the community being bleak. There just isn't very many GURPS games out there.
That's pretty much what you'll find for any game that isn't D&D or D&D-derived. But there are fans of all kinds of systems out there if you look for them.

Quote:
What I want is a low fantasy game where the eyes and focus of the event is pointed toward the adventure and toward the world. The characters are not driving the game but rather experiencing it. I will not even have backstories for characters or in the least the backstory will be minimal. For sure the adventures are not built around the character. Disadvantages/advantages/quirks and to some extent skills and techniques seem to be pointing the lens on the character and the character sheet rather than the adventure. I am currently experiencing a game where it feels like I am trying to avoid failures rather than adventuring.
It sounds to me like you're looking for a fairly cinematic, low-ish powered game. Dungeon Fantasy might be too high-powered for your tastes. The D&D tropes in DF are intentionally very strong, and starting DF characters are already superheroes.

I suggest a game where characters start at around 125 points or so, where bonus character points are easily earned by accomplishing adventuring goals, and where lots of cinematic options are used. Most exotic and supernatural traits are only allowed in racial templates, but Magery and Power Investiture should be available. Keep the disadvantage limit fairly low, maybe a maximum of 25 or 30 points or so. This should keep the character sheets fairly simple and to the point. And remember only to roll for things that matter.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote