View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 07:22 AM   #26
Refplace

Default Re: Skills - maybe this game isn't what I'm looking for

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaman14 View Post
Thank you everyone for such detailed responses. I am a trying to learn this game by reading the rules and I must admit it is really a daunting task. I suppose trying to learn any RPG by reading the rules is daunting though.

I really want to like GURPS but I feel that I would gut about 80% of the rules as ultimately pointless. Perhaps I should dig out my original 1986 version of GURPS and look through that.
In D&D a 1 always fails right? (I used much older editions and am not up to date on anything past the early 80s.
So that is a 5% vs. .01852 of rolling a 17 or 18 for automatic failure, much better odds!
Start with GURPS Lite which is free and just a few pages. That way you can read the core rules in maybe 5 minutes.

Next important thing to consider is that GURPS is designed from the ground up to be modular, meaning most skills, rules, and advantages can be tossed out or ignored when desired. This of course is for different genres such as ignore magic in most sci-fi campaigns but also refers to granularity or depth such as techniques or advanced combat options.
The idea is to provide basic tools to do anything - roll under skill on 3d6 to do something while letting those who want more granularity get into much more detail. You will never please everyone doing one or the other - so GURPS allows both and a lot in-between.

If you have a skill and are trying to do something simple or routine, normally you dont bother rolling. The Campaigns book (mostly for the GM) explains this more clearly.

Firs time I rode a horse (very young but dont recall the age) I was using default skill and nervous but had a relative helping me. So I was able to munt (barely) but had no control over the horse and it darn well knew it. It ran around the house a couple of times I think (at least once, my panicked memory may be exaggerating thinking it was several times) then jumped a low fence. I managed to hang on until the jump and somehow lost both shoes and a sock during the ride. I would call this a failed roll (though hilarious to my family), but much later on as an adult I could manage simple riding (still with the default) because the animal was better trained (Mount skill, +1), decent riding instructor who helped me (complimentary roll bonus,+1) and low stress for another +1 to +4.

In many other systems I either can ride a horse or I cant (often based on class), very simple but unrealistic.

Lets take Driving.
After some practice and training in Drivers Ed I could drive a car but was very nervous and made lots of errors. Most people that drive in America dont really have the Driving skill, they operate off the default they get from their parents or school training. For day to day use like that dont bother to roll.
However they get that +4 routine task bonus most of the time. But come a storm, ice, or idiot driver and you need to roll and may even lose that trivial/easy task modifier.
Professional drivers, and in my experience many European drivers actually have the skill and you can really tell the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaman14 View Post
I am sitting here wondering why anyone would actually use a horse for anything other than mundane day to day activity so buying and documenting the skill is a waste.
As you say, for normal use you probably wouldn't bother. But what if your playing a bronco rider or a jockey? Going to and from the dungeon or town to town- sure skip the skill and the GM can justsay everyone succeeds if they have a well trained mount and dont do anything fancy or stupid. But what if your in combat? Thats not trivial as all the noise will spook many horses.
How about playing a Old West campaign? You want to leap onto your horse when escaping from the saloon? Take the skill.
Again, its all modular - use what is appropriate and ignore what you want.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 01-25-2021 at 07:29 AM.
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote