View Single Post
Old 04-28-2021, 08:51 AM   #6
Rolando

Default Re: New to The Fantasy Trip. Got questions.

I will also like to add that the focus and feel of The Fantasy Trip (melee and wizard included) is a bit more realistic than your average D&D game..

You can play epic and high fantasy and the base setting is fantasy that can easily get very high but the starting "power level" is very much ordinary people with some talent doing very dangerous stuff, so caution and tactical planning are crucial.

I think originally Melee started as a tactical board game of man to man combat, think gladiator arenas with men and beasts.

As characters survive, taking some time to build up money and skill (sometimes in downtime) adventures may get more epic.

Think kind of D&D Basic, levels 1 to 3, wizards are an attack o away from dying and sometimes even fighters have 6 hit points at first level (with bad luck even at higher level). But in TFT wizards and fighters have a plethora of options (including spells) that no character have even at Expert levels.

The official solo adventures (Death Test and Death test 2) are very good to get the hang and feel of the dangers of the combat system.

Edit: Also, very important, combat and action is very involved, is not just "I stand beside the enemy and hit". The tactical game roots of the system makes combat more detailed with lots of tactical options, that is a big part of the appeal of the game too. Characters have to coordinate and position in ways to maximize their survival chances wile reducing the enemies chances. Combat may be low "power" but not low action or low intensity.

Last edited by Rolando; 04-28-2021 at 08:56 AM.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote