Old 12-21-2022, 07:39 PM   #20
warhorse11h

Default Re: Immunity to Break Weapon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
Warhorse,
You wrote the following response in brackets to my post below:

ITL 24 "Break Weapon" spell:
"Does not work on enchanted swords, shields, etc., constructed with Immunity (q.v.) against this spell. Such a weapon also will not break on a roll of 18, though it may be broken deliberately if someone wants to do so."
This quote has two keep points regarding Break Weapon spell immunity. The q.v. tells the reader to look up the section on spell Immunity. This means it is specifically stating there can be a Break Weapon Immunity spell. This is in direct conflict with the quote from ITL 150. Not only does it state there can be a Break Weapons Immunity spell, but the second bold explains that such an immunity would also protect against a 18 roll.

[That is your interpretation of a vaguely crafted statement that is capable of being interpreted in multiple ways. It can mean exactly what you believe it does but it can also be read to imply that a magic weapon is crafted with the immunity to Break Weapon as part of enchanting it.]

Warhorse,
What are your other interpretations? I don't see this section as vaguely crafted. It is quit clear.

How else can you interpret the "Break Weapon" spell's description that states "Does not work on enchanted swords, shields, etc., constructed with immunity (q.v.) against this spell. " I can only see this line saying "this spell" is the Break Weapon spell as it is literally stating that.

And "Immunity (q.v.)" means to point to the immunity section (pg 156). The q.v. tells you that it is a reference to a different section and in this case the Immunity section.

As for those that say all magical weapon unbreakable, see pg 167 as it clearly states they are just as fragile as before.

The only think I find inconsistent in ITL on this is that it states (more than once) that their is a Break Weapon spell Immunity but then failed to list it in the list of enchantments.
As I stated previously, that sentence can also be interpreted to mean that a weapon that has been enchanted is by its nature given immunity to Break
Weapons. Immunity to Break Weapons does not make the weapon unbreakable. It only means it can't be broken by an 18 or the Break Weapon spell. Being magically protected by that immunity does not make them more or less fragile. It only grants them that level of protection as listed in the Break Weapon spell.

You do what you wish, I'll do what I wish and those reading these threads can follow whatever course they wish. But I am through with this conversation.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote