View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 08:57 PM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Size Limitation on Growth, what to apply it to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirtai View Post
According to Powers pg 50, a character with Growth should also be able to use the Size limitation on their enhanced move as well as their strength, due to the larger stride of a giant.

What about a Giant Robot or just a straight up giant who's always big. Would those also get the Size limitation to their Enhanced move? Or do you have to be able to change size to get that limitation?
I would say that an always-large creature should not get a Size modifier to their Enhanced Move, no. I think what's happening here is that Size is sort of pulling double-duty, and is really two different limitations here, depending on the traits it's being applied to.

For ST (and HP), the Size limitation represents the fact that higher ST isn't quite as useful to a larger creature, compared to a smaller one, because the weight of equipment increases as size does, without necessarily improving in effectiveness. Armor is the classic example. Let's say that DR 10 plate armor for a human-scale person weighs 50 lbs. Now, take a person ten times as tall (i.e., SM +6). According to the scaling rules in Low-Tech Companion 2, armor scaled to fit them would weigh 100 times as much, but still provide the same 10 DR. So, a character with high ST but also larger size effectively gets less and less net benefit, because their gear ends up weighing more, eating up their margins. Hence, the Size limitation for ST.

Now, with Enhanced Move, I think what's actually happening is that the Size limitation is functioning more like an Accessiblity limitation, along the lines of "only in an altered body form". Now, I know that Accessibility is canonically set at -10%, but I think that's assuming all body transformations are roughly equally inconvenient. Increasing SM, however, clearly isn't all equally inconvenient at all - growing to 3 yards tall from 2 means you can still fit in most buildings built for humans (though you'll have to duck), can still use human-scaled tools pretty well, and easily fit down pretty much all streets and such. Growing to 50 yards tall, however, suddenly greatly restricts your range of movement in any areas built for humanity, unless you're willing and able to crash through a bunch of buildings. So, having Enhanced Move (Ground) 5 is much less useful if you have to grow to SM +6 to access it, compared to only having to grow to SM +1. So the increasing limitations are valid, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirtai View Post
Also, while I'm here, what is your opinion about adding the Size limitation to other things as appropriate?
I'd allow it on any advantages that are only available at larger sizes and that are legitimately inconvenienced in their use by that larger size. That probably includes most movement advantages, for example, and a number of defensive combat advantages, since larger SM makes it easier to hit you, and thus makes defensive advantages less useful. For example, I'd probably allow someone to buy DR with the Size limitation if they had Growth.

Advantages that didn't fall into the above categories, I'd allow a -10% Accessibility for "only while in altered body shape", but I wouldn't allow more than that if growing didn't actually make them less useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirtai
The GM's in our game decided that, for example, the Size limitation could be applied to Telescopic vision,
This, for example, I'd allow the -10% for "Only while in altered body size", but not the full Size limitation. I just don't see how it's more inconvenient to use Telescopic Vision at SM 6 compared to SM 2.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote