View Single Post
Old 10-18-2014, 10:54 PM   #47
David Johansen

Default Re: If GURPS did a Kickstarter what would you want it to be?

From what I have seen, the best Kick Starters start with a lower, attainable, goal and build on that. So here's my thoughts on GURPS Kickstarter. First off, at the $10 level you get a 64 page pdf and every additional $10 is good for another 64 page pdf. For every $20 you get one of the 64 page modules. At the $50 level you can get an existing hardback. At $100 you can get a package deal worth $150. $100 seems to be the base pledge sweet spot and people love deals, so we encourage them to pick up the $100 level by making it a deal. At $500 you can pick a 64 page module you want to see made and at $5000 SJG will edit and publish your manuscript for it.

You want the stretch goal rewards close enough to make them attainable and you want to put something much desired at about half of your real goal and the holy grail at the apex. You also need rewards that reward people for upping their pledge, these are usually ad ons that you already have in production.

$5000 - Fantasy Lite - 64 pages of spells and monsters, with paper dungeon tiles and an overleaf of Cardboard Heros. Yes I'm still beating that drum because it's basically a cut and paste job and I believe it would be very good for GURPS. Still, we could do any small project with wide appeal here, Space Opera might be a better fit. I'd probably step GURPS Lite Supplements every five thousand dollars as stretch goals. As an alternate to GURPS Lite supplements it might be possible to do adventures. I'm not sure there's enough demand for adventures. But I think the 64 pages with maps and Cardboard Heroes format would work for those as well. Heck, with a $5000 step level we could do both. Genre specific players books might also work. Lots of potential here but there might be goals to package them into hardbacks and I'm not sure SJG wants to deal with a hundred different little books in the warehouse so these might all be pdfs.

$10000 GURPS Character Assistant.

$50000 GURPS Vehicle Design System

$100000 GURPS On-Line Encyclopedia

$200000 Gold Cross Life Insurance Coverage for Steve Jackson. For every additional $200000 another SJG staffer gets a clone and memory backup.

$500000 GURPS Hard Plastic 1/36 scale miniatures starting with fantasy and adding space opera, supers, spies, fantasy monsters, horror, modern heroes, fantasy civilians, modern civilians, and space opera civilians, and fantasy war machines, space opera vehicles, and modern vehicles one at a time every $50000. My friends at Wargames Factory tell me $50k is very reasonable for mould tooling and figure production these days. I'm not sure it would be worth it to do soft plastic toy soldier style figures. They'd be fun but they'd have to be pretty cheap for people to buy them.

$1000000 Minecraft style (but with better graphics) GURPS MPORG, with hex grid on the ground duh!

$50000000 FREE GURPS LARP IN HAWAII FOR EVERYONE BABY!

Last edited by David Johansen; 10-18-2014 at 11:06 PM.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote