View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 09:17 AM   #23
Onkl

Default Re: A Campaign in Space / Balancing of Spaceships with different SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Also, ships can generally be much more modular in-world than the PDF posits, making module swap-outs easier, taking weeks or even only days, instead of the implied (IIRC) months. That's a world building decision.
That's what I wanted to do anyways, in my campaign it will take days or weeks to replace a spaceship module.

Quote:
Also, why use GURPS Spaceships? There are reasons for using it, having to do with calculating performance statistics that are realistic, reasonable and objective, but if the setting has reactionless drives anyway, or almost-reactionless ones, the need to use GURPS Spaceships goes down drastically.
For simplicities sake I was thinking about using only reactionless drives, for jumping systems, you would have to use gates (Hello Eve...), only bigger ships have the necessary "jumpgate drive" so the fighter will have to land in the big ships hangar bays. As you point out, I could easily use a different system or something homebrewn along the lines you suggest.

Using GURPS Spaceships is still my number one choice though as I do not have a broad horizon when it comes to games dealing with space combat.

Would that "BESM2" be a "go to" System when it comes to space combat? I do not care for a 3D system as this seems much to complex for fast paced action.

Quote:
A few years ago I came up with a very simple point-based spaceship design system .... Like GURPS' Modular Abilities, either in full form, or with some Limitations.
Very nice and workable indeed, but it would take more time to implement this as using GURPS Spaceships, don't you think? We all want to get going, and using RAW with a few modifications here and there will let us start with our game sooner, I think.
But still, I would love to give your idea a go, it sounds simple, logic and a lot of fun.

What about combat though? Would you still use GURPS Rules?

Quote:
You just won't get the tie-in with real world units that you find in GURPS Spaceships or GURPS Vehicles (remember my comparison with BESM2), and putting in extra creation mechanics to thwart single-minded hyper-optimizaton makes the entire thing more complicated.
Hrm, more complicated? One of my players is what gets commonly refered to as a munchkin...

Quote:
I built most of it, but then got stalled on how to price the ability to carry Riders, auxillary bay-carried vehicles larger than Fighters, such as the System Defence Boats of the Traveller universe (or the muchynbigger Battle Riders in C.J. Cherryh's science fiction setting). I didn't want it to be possible for a tiny Corvette, no matter how high-tech, to be able to carry multiple huge Battleships in "rider bays", but could not find a sufficiently simple way to price that and to limit unrealistic combinations. I eventually lost some interest in the project, and never got around to backing it up onto DropBox before my desktop computer crashed.
If you can rescue the data, I would be very much interested in getting a copy.

Quote:
Another point-based option is to use GURPS.
you're at a loss and can't get help here (which would be highly unlikely) you can look at the Bio-Tech writeup to see how GURPS does it.
I think I will just have to live and learn and find out through play what works for me and my group.

Thank you very much for your extensive advice on what to do how and why. I will consider it when making my choices.

Onkl
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote