View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 07:53 AM   #67
Emerikol

Default Re: Skill Advancement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
It obviously depend on each GM, but for me Gurps is not a game where a player can come and sit at a table with a character he made on his own.
Creating a character, and upgrading it, is a collaborative task between the player and the GM, balancing the player wishes and the setting constraint.

So, for me, most of the woes reported in this thread cannot happen, because a character cannot have broadsword-40, unless I as GM said I was ok with it, in which case I better be ready to balance the game around it.

If I feel that in a certain game a character shouldn't have more than DX-14 and broadsword-18, that will be the limit in that game.
And maybe in another game I will allow Broadsword-30 and DX-20.
And in either case, I would allow going slightly over the max, with a suitable UB, but not much, and not for cheap.

Likewise, coming from the other side, each characters in a high-point game are expected to be able to handle a minimum level of opposition on their own.
I'm in a fantasy gaming mindset right now so I lean towards at least allowing higher skill levels. Anything that was more realistic, I would agree that you could just say human max is DX+Z where Z is the max. I like this because it also rewards those who start out with innate talent. I'd also limit how much you could increase your stats if I was playing in a realism based game.

With fantasy, I'm more flexible though I won't say there aren't limits even in that genre.

Edit:
I am very much on board with GM and the other players collaborating on what is allowed and not allowed. For me especially in fantasy, it's impossible to build a character without this collaboration. I've practiced that approach for years.

Last edited by Emerikol; 06-09-2021 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Added a comment about something I missed.
Emerikol is offline   Reply With Quote