View Single Post
Old 03-09-2021, 10:17 AM   #12
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Pyramid #4, thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I've had people privately tell me or tell me on the Discord for GURPS they liked it, but no "public" reviews or even stuff on the forums so I have no idea what folks thought about my stuff.

How I felt about each article in Fantasy:
Toxic Grimoire: Its the standard magic system. Not terribly interested.
Utatsumi: One of those weird and beautiful flowers that comes out of gurps periodically. I'm not sure that I'll ever use it, but I'm glad I read it.
Demonic Temple of Felltower: not terribly interested. Its a single encounter, and a fairly sterotypical one at that. The layering of modifiers in interesting, but DF really isn't my thing.
Healing and Purification Magic: This is really dense, and I haven't unpacked it yet. I've played in this RPM space before and I'm scowling a little because I can see at least one spell (ressurection) that I disagree strongly with. I'm sure there are some fun little gems in there. One I've noticed is using alternate abilities on Greater Restoration.
Fraxinetum: One of those weird and beautiful flowers that comes out of gurps periodically. I'm not sure that I'll ever use it, but I'm glad I read it.
Tactical Looting: Earlier, I said DF wasn't really my thing. Tactical looting makes we want to give it a shot. It brings some focus to the dungeon I want to investigate.
Stilpnotia, City of Lamps: I loved this. I want to run Planar elemental fantasy now. It paints a setting very evocitively.
Supernatural Energy: I'm still unpacking this, but as I said, I loved it. I'm especially interested in applying some of the limits it gives to various magic systems, and for running games where magic is an external resource.
Pandemonium: I like infinite worlds, and I like worlds fighting demon invasions, but something about this both rubbed me wrong and made me shrug. I think I would have preferred a single zoomed in part of pandemonium with a single blurb talking about elsewhere on the globe.
Fusion Alchemy: Another dense article to unpack. It doesn't excite me, but I see some really broad and general usefulness here. The balancing of the point value, costs, skill penalties, and time taken looks fairly robust, though I haven't tried to break it yet. I'm glad we have this article.
The Cube: One of those weird and beautiful flowers that comes out of gurps periodically. I'm not sure that I'll ever use it, but I'm glad I read it.
The Random Thought: Useful advice to Remember. Its mostly useful in a DF context, but as tactical looting has me looking at running a one-shot speed dungeon, I read with a fair amount of interest.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote