View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 10:47 AM   #35
Gnome

Default Re: Unarmed vs. Knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneRonin View Post
I understand the tactics here, but I'm not sure they are viable in GURPS tactical combat.

The hardest part is going to be getting into the bad guy's side hex. Assuming you are in his middle-front adjacent hex when he attacks, at best you can do a side-slip parry into his left front hex and then step into CC for the Arm Lock from there.
All the more reason to use Karate! Kicks have Reach 1, so if you step into his left-side hex (after slipping into the left-front hex on his attack), you can kick him without fear of being hurt on the parry.

So if our hypothetical barely-realistic-highly-skilled martial artist has ST 13 and Karate at DX+1 at least, and he's wearing boots, he'll kick for 1d+3 cr, or an average of 6.5 points of damage. It shouldn't take many of those to ruin Mr. Knife's day! In fact, if knife guy has only 10 HP, that will be a major wound and a likely fight-ender in just one hit (especially if that hit was to the face, for a -5 to the stun check, or to a limb or appendage for a crippling blow).

I'm getting more and more convinced that messing around with grapples is a waste of time. Karate guy should be able to kick the s**t out of his knife wielding opponent without too many problems (assuming knife guy is your average HT10 ST10 skill12 mook).

On the other hand if the knife guy is also highly skilled...he should probably win the fight, since he's armed and the martial artist is not.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote