View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #33
TheOneRonin

Default Re: Unarmed vs. Knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
Good point. I hadn't thought of the possibility that you can't legally grab an arm from the opposing side (makes sense).
I would consider attacking from the non-weapon side anyway and just going for strikes. After all, if you are significantly more skilled than the opponent (which I presume is part of the premise here), you should be making your defenses, so the only real issue with the knife is that it can damage you on a successful parry. If you just keep striking from the non-weapon side, he will never be able to do that to you, and meanwhile you should be able to parry his attacks with your superior skill (and judicious use of retreats).
I understand the tactics here, but I'm not sure they are viable in GURPS tactical combat.

The hardest part is going to be getting into the bad guy's side hex. Assuming you are in his middle-front adjacent hex when he attacks, at best you can do a side-slip parry into his left front hex and then step into CC for the Arm Lock from there.

You are still in his front arc, and I haven't read anything about not being able to (or having any penalties to) attack an opponent in your left front arc when your weapon is in your right hand. Not to mention, he is going to turn to face you on his turn, so you will have a really difficult time saying in his side arc even if you manage to somehow get there (Committed attack, maybe?).

Quote:
So maybe instead of Judo we should be using Karate here for maximum damage potential, with the plan being to simply beat the pulp out of the knife-wielder...
From a GURPS standpoint, both is a good idea (or Brawling + Wrestling to save points). Once you control or lock the arm, you can use kicks, knees, and headbutts to do damage.
TheOneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote