View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
kdarc

Default Re: One social trait, multiple society?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
You're probably going to find this frustrating, but there will be a detailed treatment of this in GURPS Social Engineering, with at least a couple of different options. The quick summary is that you should normally pick a reference society, and define the cost of traits in terms of that. The proper choice of reference society is the one where the campaign will mainly take place.

All the characters in a given campaign should be defined in relation to the same reference society. For example, if you were running a campaign set in 1910, where one of the characters was a lord of the jungle raised by apes, and another was a renegade Martian allied with humans, you would give the jungle lord Low TL 6 [-30] and the Martian High TL 3 [15], both in relation to the TL6 society around them. How they were regarded by the apes or the other Martians is irrelevant; the campaign isn't set in Africa or on Mars.

Bill Stoddard
Well, this is clearly another foul ploy to increase my anticipation for Social Engineering! Bad jokes aside though, that is a quite relevant point. The good thing about the setting then is the fact the players are will be within the larger Empire of the setting, so Imperial society could set the standards. I guess that one could toy around with Accessibility limitations, but that seems a bit contrived. Lucky thing my players are the type to turn murderous when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks for the quick reply!
kdarc is offline   Reply With Quote