View Single Post
Old 06-07-2021, 12:05 PM   #17
Polkageist

Default Re: Verification re: Move and Attack

On a fencing strip it's not just little reason to do so, it's physically HARD to be far enough away to be in a position for a move-and-attack and still be doing good fencing. Also those gunfight 'misses' may be covering or suppressing fire, untargeted return fire to keep the opponents honest or just panicked return fire, things like that. You'd have to go through them frame-by-frame (or second-by-second) and estimate ranges, aiming bonuses, situational penalties, action choice, and so on. Those recreation melees and fencing bouts may have move-and-attack once at the start, and then the rest are at-skill because everyone's within a step of each other. And that's not even taking into account AoA and other things to mitigate the move-and-attack limit.

Fencing keeps being a really hard thing to model in GURPS, it involves sub-second and simultaneous actions and exchanges that gets squirrelly when you scale it and put it into an I-go-you-go structure. But then again I AM a fencer, so I have a picture of the level of detail and trust me you don't want to try to capture that all in a ruleset, you'll go MAD (or make Phoenix Point w/ swords).
Polkageist is offline   Reply With Quote