View Single Post
Old 06-07-2021, 09:02 AM   #11
Varyon

Default Re: Verification re: Move and Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Maybe instead of a "worse of" we can just do a fixed penalty in addition to bulk?
I'm purposefully matching to the way things work for ranged weapons.

Quote:
I could also see working Reach into it somehow... I think it's probably easier (while running) to stab someone 1 yard away with a Reach 1 spear than to stab someone 4 yards away with a Reach 4 spear for example.
Reach and Bulk should be interrelated - longer weapons have worse Bulk. You could justify having Range penalties, but if you're calling for them on Move and Attack, they should probably be in play for all attacks.

Quote:
Do we say guns use the same policy as thrust weapons since they are direct line of fire rather than spinning?
Firing a pistol or rifle is more akin to a thrust than a swing, yes.

Quote:
When it comes to arrows, even though they used thrust it's the thrust of the weapon rather than directly applied thrust so I could see it work more like a gun, if we gave guns lesser penalties than thrust weapons.
Bow usage is also more akin to a thrust than a swing. They'd be a lot more finicky to use than a rifle when moving under one's own power, but that's handily covered by them having pretty bad Bulk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Videos of real gun fights where people are dashing about shooting seem to have a lot of misses, far more than seem to be the case in recreation melees or fencing matches.
A good point. I could see firearms being at a worse penalty than thrusting melee weapons for Move and Attack (although I'd be inclined to reduce the penalty for the latter rather than increase it for the former).