View Single Post
Old 12-27-2020, 10:14 PM   #55
malloyd

Default Re: Meteoric iron immunities

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolemnGolem View Post
Quirky question:

A DF gate to a parallel (though older) universe is set to just inside the horizon of an iron star. The gate owner is using it to bring back occasional cartloads of stellar iron.

Would this count as "meteoric iron"? And could it, in fact, pass through a gate if the gate were set up using magic?
I'd generally rule that meteoric iron, or anything else anti-magical, can't pass through magical gates without causing some kind of trouble, but the trouble might vary depending on my mood. Usually it just doesn't pass through, but catastrophically collapsing the gate is an option too.

And no, this doesn't have the right symbolism to count as meteoric. All iron on the planet was after all produced in stars somewhere, so just coming from one isn't enough. I suppose that the fact that a chunk of iron can acquire specific (anti-)magical effects depending on how it ends up on the ground opens the possibility that arriving from another universe via magical gate might cause it to do *something*. Possibly something the magician involved in fetching it did not expect at all. But being antimagical seems fairly unlikely.