View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 04:24 PM   #7
Prince Charon

Default Re: [Banestorm] Yrth as a Psionic setting

I'm glad there's interest in this concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binn05 View Post
I'm not using Psi-Mana-Levels at the campaign but did you thought about using that "negative" psi energy? Can't remember the name or which book it is...
The only reference to that that I can think of is the Anti-Psi power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binn05 View Post
That could be used to explain that certain places have more of this energy and so hinder psi use, maybe with your explanation of crystals that produce it, akin to radiation and radioactive minerals. But for high and very high mana zones, I'm at a loss.
Yeah, I'm thinking of going the hybrid route on the small chance that I run a psi-based Yrth game. Naturally psi-reactive crystals can explain a lot, and are a valuable resource, besides.

On another note, I started working on this for another idea quite some time ago, but now I don't remember what that idea was. Distractible and Imaginative are more annoying quirks in real life than they are in a game.

I do think it's an interesting combination of 'specialized' and 'versatile,' though.

Lucky Witch Template:

Advantages
Coincidence (Nuisance Effect: Must speak or gesture, -5%) 1 [26]
^ Adjustment 5 (Alternative Ability of Coincidence; Nuisance Effect: Must speak or gesture, -5%) [5]
^ Curse 3 (AA of Coincidence; Nuisance Effect: Must speak and gesture, -10%) [5]
^ Second Chance 2 (AA of Coincidence; Nuisance Effect: Must speak and gesture, -10%) [5]
^ Weather Control 1 (AA of Coincidence; Nuisance Effect: Must speak and gesture, -10%) [4]

Protected Power (Probability Alteration) [5]

Subtotal: 50

Disadvantages
Trickster (12) [-15]
Weirdness Magnet (Probability Alteration, -10%) [-14]

Quirk: Prays to Saint Cajetan, patron of gamblers, when nervous. [-1]

Subtotal: -30

Skills
Adjustment [IQ/H] [4] IQ
Coincidence [IQ/H] [4] IQ
Curse [Will/H] [2] Will-1
Second Chance [IQ/H] [1] IQ-2
Weather Control [IQ/H] [1] IQ-2

Techniques
Delayed Effect (H) Curse-5 [2] Will-5
Evil Eye (H) Curse-4 [2] Will-4
Remove Curse (H) Curse-1 [2] Will-1
Transference (H) Second Chance-10 [4] IQ-9
Faster Onset (H) Weather Control-8 [2] IQ-9
Thunderbolt (H) Weather Control-7 [4] IQ-6
Unsupervised Change (H) Weather Control-10 [2] IQ-11

Subtotal: 30

Total: 50

Notes

The 'Evil Eye' technique allows the user to afflict a Curse at range, through eye contact. Thunderbolt works mechanically mostly like the EK version, but fluffwise, it works by making it very likely that the target will be hit by a bolt of lightning from the storm that the user is controlling.

I might create a character based on this. Maybe take a hint from the quirk, and make him or her a Mystic trained by a Megalan Order of Saint Cajetan (not the Theatines, who are a separate group, but might have a branch on Yrth). In that case, though, the abilities might be different (already planning to add Combat Sense to the character, but not as part of the set of Alternative Abilities). On the other hand, I might create them as a Nomad Lands pagan Mystic, or leave them a regular psychic.

Thoughts?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote