View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 09:52 AM   #4
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Ceremonial Magic GURPS CLASSIC and 4e

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
Rather than continue this on another thread, I thought it best to break this off into its own thread. The point to be debated in this thread, is the validity of using Time for Skill in enchantments - which, well, read on...

"
I don't really want to go round and round about this but I will speak briefly.

I went back to Magic 1e because you set such importance on what you appear to deem critical mistakes in the updating of Magic for 4e.

Workign from Magic 4e now though the box on p.12 about Ceremonial Magic begins with saying that "If you know a spell at 15 or higher" . I find "know" to be unamibiguous. It means IQ+Magery+cp spent on the spell adds up to 15 before any temporary modifiers.

This is a limiter before you can even get started. It appears clear to me that you may not start at a level below 15 and then accumulate bonuses to get you up to 15.

You explicitly can use trading Energy for Skill to raise an items Power but this will not let you circumvent the requiremnt to _know_ the requisite Spell at 15+.

It also seems clear to me that the -5 for Low Mana is deemed a temporary modifier. It would follow from that that any bonus gained from local mana level if one was using Continuous Mana from Thaumatology would also be a temporary modifier.