View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 04:45 AM   #7
davidtmoore

Default Re: Some questions about the Soldier skill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post
In the modern era it would probably cover things such as basic first aid, cleaning and maintaining a few of the more commonly used weapons, proper radio communication procedure, navigation, basic knowledge of squad level tactics, and a few other things.

I find the topic of what the skill means in other eras an interesting topic; it's something I've often pondered myself. In a setting where there are great variances among what different militaries are taught -say for example what elven infantry might learn compared to dwarven infantry- would it be reasonable for a GM to require some level of specialization? What are some of the non-combat skills a TL 2-3 conscript might learn (if anything)?
A lot of digging and simple construction, I suspect, for much of history. Soldier/TL1-3 almost certainly includes training in digging latrines, building earthworks, erecting forts, etc.

Weapon maintenance would be universal. As Soldier/TL8 covers routine Armoury (Rifles)/TL8 tasks, so Soldier/TL3 covers routine Armoury (Melee Weapons)/TL3 tasks, and so on.

Ditto tactics. A Roman legionnaire with Soldier/TL2 can take his position in a tortoise or phalanx in the most efficient manner, while a British rifleman with Soldier/TL5 is experienced with the three-lines-of-fire formation.

With fantasy, I guess you need to decide if the "Soldier" profession really exists. Dwarves may well have Soldier/TL3, covering formations in tunnels, axe maintenance, that kind of thing, but elves are individualistic, graceful, yadda yadda, ad nauseam, and might not operate as "soldiers" at all.
davidtmoore is offline   Reply With Quote