View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 10:32 AM   #12
tbeard1999

Default Re: priest and theologian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecz View Post
It's a reasonable approach for "lazy" GMs :-)

It can work and does not require extra rules. But the fact a Priest must spend 5 IQ points to have these small bonuses put the cleric careeer "out of the market" .

Everything is good if GM and players decide it's good, of course.

I prefer a "derivative" idea if the result improves the game and the game remains balanced.
I think I'd allow those kinds of bonuses with the "priest" talent. I interpret "theologian" as more of "how to manage a religious bureaucracy" than an even higher power level. Indeed, if the religion in question lacks a significant hierarchy (like many protestant denominations today), "theologian" might not even be available.

As I envision it, a TFT character who wanted to be a full-time priest would probably need additional talents to lead a congregation - literacy, charisma, business sense, diplomacy, courtly graces, scholar, recognize/assess value, and/or additional languages come to mind. Theologian would allow the character to ascend to high levels of leadership in the church hierarchy.

A character who in a religious fighting order would need just priest talent and an assortment of combat skills. (You could even have an IQ8 1 point talent "Religion" that grants no powers but gives the figure familiarity with a particular faith, for rank and file members of the fighting order. I'd allow the figure to later take Priest for one more talent point).

This would be appropriate for a medieval Roman Catholic-style religion. Of course, all kinds of additional trappings can be added.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote