View Single Post
Old 04-14-2019, 05:54 AM   #3
Icelander

Default Re: [MH] Brazilian Secret Monster Hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
There is a long-standing three-way rivalry between Argentine, Brazil and Chile although they're on pretty good terms at present.
Indeed.

I've made no decisions about Argentine in my campaign, but Chile is like most of the nations in the world, with no coherent response to supernatural threats, only small groups of believers within disparate agencies who keep their personal beliefs private to avoid being derided as superstitious or even delusional.

Considering the size of the Argentine and Chilean economies, as well as the geographic distance from their borders to the Caribbean, how plausible is it that these two nations run intelligence operations of their own in the Caribbean?

I know that Chile, in my campaign, has a rather more serious crime problem than in reality, largely as the result of Andean criminal organizations that have grown more powerful in the 2010s. Homegrown Bolivian, Chilean and Peruvian criminals have formed business ties across national borders and are financed not only through the drug trade, but also illegal mining. There also appear to be some recent contacts between such Brazilian organizations as the Red Commando and at least one Andean organization.

To those in the know, the rapid expansion of these Andean criminals, the degree of superstitious fear they engender among other criminals and their ability to make apparent agreements in their favour with much larget and more established criminal organizations are all indicators of supernatural powers involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
There are some Caribbean islands where a Portuguese-based creole is widely spoken, and the Brazilian agencies probably have a few stringers there.
I never even considered that the Dutch possessions in the Caribbeans might have connections with Brazil, as the closest historical tie I knew about was the 17th century.

Does knowing Portuguese allow any understanding of Papiamento?