View Single Post
Old 04-13-2019, 07:22 PM   #9
Icelander

Default Re: [MH] Brazilian Secret Monster Hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empada View Post
I cannot imagine an official organization, even a shadow one, being able to act in FBI or CIA style.
Please elaborate.

The CIA, for example, is largely an ossified, risk-averse and highly bureaucratic organization, much less able or willing to carry out covert operations that are potentially sensitive or controversial than the intelligence organizations of dozens of other countries. What is it that you believe that the CIA could do that no Brazilian official organization could do?

And I don't know what the FBI might do that Brazilian federal police cannot do. I know that Brazilian police kill people at roughly 5:1 compared to US police (ca 8:1 corrected for population), which argues that it would be a lot easier to hide extrajudicial executions of occultists and human-like monsters in these statistics, but, obviously, the FBI are involved in very few shootings compared to local police in the US. I don't know whether the Policia Federal has more or less firefights than local police in Brazil, but I strongly suspect that the same holds.

Quote:
But in your version of reality it could exist. The Polícia Federal (federal police) can be a strong candidate to have such division. Also, in Brazil we have 2 different polices, Polícia Militar (military police) who do patrol, answer emergencies and so on. The Polícia Civil is the investigative one, they have forensics and detectives. They also have the Delegado, who is responsible to start an guide the investigation, and give the obtained information to the prosecutor. These two only have state jurisdiction and they are subordinated to the State Governor (there are not municipality police). The Polícia Federal are subordinated to the President and are an investigative police like the Polícia Civil.
Thank you. I'm most interested in intelligence and security personnel from Brazil who could operate out of the country. As Brazil will be the largest, richest and most powerful polity in my campaign that has any kind of even remotely coordinated response against supernatural threats in the part of the world where my campaign is, I anticipate that the PCs will inevitably encounter Brazilian monster hunters in their adventures at some point.

Quote:
If you want I can go further in the details.
Yes, that would be great, especially about what you might expect in other countries relatively close to Brazil, if analysts had come across indicators that could suggest some kind of supernatural threat that could threaten Brazil.

Quote:
I can also sugest some Folklore beings.

The Saci-Pererê, the Mula-sem-Cabeça (Headless Mule), Curupira, Cuca (in wikipedia is Coco folklore), Boitatá, Boiuna, Mapinguari, Boto-cor-de-rosa legend, Corpo-Seco, Capelobo, Iara…

some of them have good wikipedia articles.
That can't hurt, though adventures will be set mostly in the Caribbean, with perhaps a few Brazilian intelligence officers investigating something that might conceivably pose a threat to the mainland.

Last edited by Icelander; 04-17-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote