View Single Post
Old 08-23-2022, 11:14 AM   #8
Prince Charon

Default Re: [Space/Thaumatology] Stargate: Fantasy - Worldbuilding thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Are you trying to make a fully fantasy world version, or are you thinking a magical portal is discovered on modern day Earth?
Yes.

More seriously, my initial thought was the canon SGC but with magical portals and magical aliens and such, but one of the eventual votes (probably a while from now, as we have a few other things to vote on first) will be when the Stargate starts being used regularly, which might be some earlier era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
An interesting concept, and I agree that Stargate works well for something like this - aside from the Earth humans (Tau'ri), the majority of the technology (and the innate abilities of the inhuman species encountered) are basically magic. For this thread, would you prefer we stick with each topic as it comes along (so, just talk about magic systems right now), or would you be fine with something more freeform (say, going ahead and giving out some ideas for the Goa'uld, Jaffa, Asgard, etc)?
I'd like to primarily stick with each topic at a time, but if you have an idea for something to vote on later, or that needs discussing, feel free to post it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
My preffered options are #1, #2, #3, and #6.
OK, glad someone is voting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
As you note, its just not stargate without the innate magic and material magic. I prefer #3 and #6 because I think we want a worked magic system that doesn't take too much of our bandwidth to adapt. 6 is probably the strongest way to do that, but #3 can be nice because its a little easier to tame.

I think the imbuments option of #2 is particularly interesting for a fantasy stargate setting.
Interesting reasoning, and it does make sense.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote