View Single Post
Old 01-03-2019, 03:28 AM   #29
Icelander

Default Cold One Servitor Spirits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Wechuge, like Wendigo but with a heart of ice.
I've already introduced some minor beings connected in some way with these 'Cold Ones'. These are incorporeal spirits without form or substance, who with the performance of a certain ritual inhabit a humanoid construct made of black mud and blood.

The humanoid constructs were, at least when the PCs saw them, fairly unformed and shapeless, without eyes, eyelids, lips, teeth or other human features. They were more or less pitch black in colour, though it's possible that a conjectured brown-reddish hue would have been more noticeable in daylight than at night, with flickering lights, in the stock room of a Walmart's.

The Intuition and Hidden Lore (Spirits) of one PC, who captured one with a Pentagram Trap, tells him that these are beings aspected toward cold, both envious and covetous toward light and heat, and either not very intelligent, or so alien that their more complex mental processes do not register to humans.

As it happens, I had decided that a precious stone of some sort, associated with cold in some magical tradition or folklore I could discover, should serve as the fetish for each spirit, binding him to the golem body, where it would be the rough analogue for a heart. I would welcome suggestions as to which kind of precious stone, mineral or other material this should be.

And, oh, it's not come up in play, but I expect the PCs to stop soon and carry out a more thorough examination of the captured spirit, now encased in a crucifix serving as a secure spirit prison. And when they do, they'll find out that even trapped inside a spirit vessel, the cold spirit is somehow siphoning light, heat and energy into itself. It's not growing any warmer or more solid, however, and it will probably be within the analytical abilities of the PCs to determine that the spirit is linked in some metaphysical way with another entity or entities and that the energy is traveling down this metaphysical link.

Last edited by Icelander; 01-03-2019 at 03:31 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote