View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Shrale

Default Re: Survey (Scouts) campaign difficulties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos

The archetypal adventures hook of the campaign schema is Survey folk trying to gather intelligence, and these characters just don't have the right grommets. But short of doing on jackboots, I can't seem to get everyone to play a planetologist, geologist, climatologist, oceanographer, geographer, ecologist, anthropologist, sociologist, economist, agronomist, technologist, military intelligence type, epidemiologist, or linguist.

* Some players just aren't interested in the interpersonal stuff with the crew, or I can't make it interesting enough.
I can relate, either their take on these professions is different or superficial because of reasons like (but not limited to)

1. They've seen it on tv/movies
2. They know the basics but how do you become the person without knowing the GM's vision of the setting ?
3. Sounds good, but they're quickly lost.
4. Sex, sex, sex that's interpersonal.

and probably a small multitude of other reasons as well.

Would you plan on helping them ? For instance, say I was offered the agronomist, but have no idea what that really involves other than a para in the rulebook for their skills. How do I suddenly become an agronomist that matters in your campaign ?

Would you help them out with "So you try A, then B then C..." and kind of prompt them along ?

For me, the biggest obstacles to overcome (I'm running a one-off Traveller PBP over on COTI) is:

1. Convince the players I'm not a killer-GM. During the 2nd encounter, a rather pedestrian meeting the players were very paranoid.

2. Get the PCs to understand how my uni (IMTU) works.

I have to overcome these with concessions (probably faults in the eyes of other GMs) but sometimes you just have to head them off at the pass, when the 10-minute meeting takes 3 days or their paranoia is just too much.

Same with info, I suddenly had players doing the "I just passed a guy on the street, link with my PDA and get his life history"

< buzzer > then explain the reason for the "fnord, you can't do that"

Do you do things like that ?

>
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Shrale is offline   Reply With Quote