View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 12:06 AM   #34
Alden Loveshade

Default Re: Dragged kicking and screaming from the candy-store

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimchim View Post
I have "converted" several groups from other games to gurps. The first was way back yonder. I had a group who were 100% fixed on D&D and were very anti change especially one particular player who had always been the GM up untill i took over the job. I tried but failed initially to get the group to even consider GURPS until during one session the old GM's character (he was playing a bard D&D 2nd ed) life depended on someone being able to pick a lock. He was convinced lock picking was a bard skill but it turned out it was not. He then asked :-
"Could my PC try to pick that lock under GURPS?"
I replied yes but the default skill would be low.
The group began converting their PC's to GURPS right there and then and that group are still using GURPS as a system of choice.
Motivated self-interest wins out once again. I love that example.

I once got in an argument with a GM running a different game system. He insisted that while my character was very highly skilled at throwing a net on people from a distance even if they were trying to avoid it, by the rules it was impossible for my character to simply drop a net on a person who was sleeping. ???

And by the way, that GM was credited in the book for the system he was running.

Alden Loveshade
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote