View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #28
Gef

Default Re: Dragged kicking and screaming from the candy-store

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonos View Post
The more they saw what was going on in the world, the more they realized that it just wouldn't have worked in That Other System.
I'll second that. That's what sells GURPS, but it has to be demonstrated, and that requires getting folks to try it in the first place.

Let me add that I've learned to be very involved in character creation. If players don't feel threatened by it, I even suggest that they tell me their concept, I nominate a write-up, and then of course they can change it. This helps them avoid some of the traps that new players fall into, so I don't get an army of impulsive overconfident bloodlusty DX-monsters with high pain threshold and combat reflexes. Players of other systems (including GURPS 3e) tend to think that high stats are more valuable than other traits, not quite getting the point that a point is a point, a theory which matches practice fairly well in 4e. A player's first character has a lot to do with his first impression of the system, and if he's first impression is, "Gee, I can't do anything even with DX 17," then he'll quit without ever realizing that he couldn't do anything, or rather, could only do one thing, because he had a one-dimensional build.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote