View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #21
chimchim

Default Re: Dragged kicking and screaming from the candy-store

I have "converted" several groups from other games to gurps. The first was way back yonder. I had a group who were 100% fixed on D&D and were very anti change especially one particular player who had always been the GM up untill i took over the job. I tried but failed initially to get the group to even consider GURPS until during one session the old GM's character (he was playing a bard D&D 2nd ed) life depended on someone being able to pick a lock. He was convinced lock picking was a bard skill but it turned out it was not. He then asked :-
"Could my PC try to pick that lock under GURPS?"
I replied yes but the default skill would be low.
The group began converting their PC's to GURPS right there and then and that group are still using GURPS as a system of choice.

The next success came when a friend opened a FLGS of his own and asked me for help by running various demo games of all the different games i play (rpg and wargames). The first game night he organised i was scheduled to run a RPG so i chose GURPS and caravan to Ein Arris. THe group of players who arrived had expected D&D but were willing to give the game a try. I had ten players that night. I lost one due to his hatred of GURPS disadvantage system (mainly due to a him fluffing a kleptomania roll forcing him to steal something - i had warned him). The other nine went on to become regulars at the store for gurps games and my then second rpg group away from the store.