View Single Post
Old 12-08-2020, 12:46 PM   #36
Varyon

Default Re: closest Space/Ultratech equiv to the giant power armors used by Marines in Starcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
Interesting concept! If I may, I'd like to call this "Double-Pass Ablative" or DP-Ablative.
Feel free to steal and name it however you'd like. As you note, I feel a fair way to price it is the two-layer approach, with the second layer at half price. This may interact poorly with non-standard ablation rates, however. I was going to suggest building the second layer as always ablating 1:1, with the option to have it with more DR than the first, so long as the loss is proportional. I don't know what pricing scheme you use, but let's say Ablative(5) is -40% and Ablative(3) is -50% (Ablative(1) is still -80%). Simply going with halving the second layer would make DPA(5/3) be -15%, and a character with DR 20 would pay [85] to be able to soak up to a 48 damage attack. Instead requiring the character to build the first layer as DR 20(Ablative(5) -40%) [60] and the second as DR 60(Ablative(1) -80%) [60], halved to [30] for being linked to the first layer for an end cost of [90], works out to a very similar cost, so I suspect just halving the second layer is probably fine.