View Single Post
Old 12-08-2020, 11:37 AM   #34
Varyon

Default Re: closest Space/Ultratech equiv to the giant power armors used by Marines in Starcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
DR (Ablative (Cutting Only)) would model armor that resists most attacks but gets worn down by the zerg rush.

Another build I've considered is layered DR of:
DR (All or Nothing) Enough to resist small arms and the like.
DR (Ablative or Semi-Ablative)

I like the second one since it works for a lot of situations where you want armor to be worn down reasonably quickly, but not by attacks that are below a certain threshold.
I've long felt that a decent idea for a certain type of ablative armor would be to have it with a given DR that roughly follows the normal semi-ablative scheme (optionally a bit faster, say -1 DR per 5 damage), but instead of a penetration damaging the character, it instead degrades the armor on a 1-for-1 basis. So, a character with DR 100 in this scheme, if struck by a 150 damage attack, would have the first 100 reduce DR to 90, and the remaining 50 would reduce DR to 40 (rather than pulping the character). Such a modifier is arguably worth a net -10%* if it's part of the character or a Gadget (if it's just gear, like the armor of most Marines, it doesn't need such stats). This basically means the character won't be harmed at all until the armor - or at least that part of it - is completely destroyed (I should note I initially came up with this while musing on how Shardplate from The Stormlight Archives might function, and also considered a one-shot adventure involving space marines in armor that functions similarly for some players more familiar with "buckets of HP" characters/enemies). This can also work well for superscience shields that won't let anything through until they've been fully depleted.

*Something that comes close in function would be a layer of Semi-ablative DR and an equal layer of Ablative DR. For DR 100, the first layer (with Semi-ablative -20%) would cost [400], while the second (with Ablative -80%) would cost [100], for a total of [500] - essentially a net +0% modifier on the initial DR 100. That would outperform the above, however, as the Semi-ablative layer wouldn't lose DR when the Ablative one does, so I felt roughly halving the cost of the Ablative layer would be appropriate for linking its DR to the Semi-ablative layer's. That changes the cost to [450], or a net -10%.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I generally assume that on the RTS maps (as opposed to the no-recruitment mission maps) a single counter of marines is actually a platoon or so.
They also likely have weapons beyond their rifles, which may be better fits against targets they logically shouldn't be able to harm - the intro to the Brood War expansion shows a Marine blowing up some Zerglings with rocket propelled explosives of some flavor, although given he only takes out one with each, (and doesn't harm the nearby Marine at all) they likely aren't very powerful. That cinematic - and I think pretty much all of the relevant cinematics from SC1 - also shows a Marine's rifle being unable to penetrate the Zergling's armor, of course.

Last edited by Varyon; 12-08-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote