View Single Post
Old 05-12-2021, 11:29 AM   #6
naloth

Default Re: Force Sword (and Blaster) Design - Assistance Requested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
The speed increase makes long-range attacks more feasible - with a subsonic, highly-visible round, it's very difficult to hit anything capable of moving at a decent range without massed fire, and I want higher-spectrum blasters to largely be used as sniper rifles and the like.
Yes, I saw how you were using it to adjust how hard it was to parry. If I was doing Star Wars type combat I'd just make it all either short range or largely inaccurate at long range. Short ranges would keep combat more local much like Dune creates a reason to do melee combat. It's much easier to close to melee range that way.

Longer range isn't bad, it just adjusts the focus of the game.

Quote:
Well, you have the option of thr or sw - the former does less damage but has a better armor divisor. While it's not stated, I intend for thr attacks to function like imp/pi when it comes to hit location interactions, while sw attacks would function more like cut. And yeah, I've liked the idea of ST mattering for force swords for some time now - I prefer instances in Star Wars where the weapons seem like swords rather than cut-through-anything-with-a-touch-deathsticks. The sequel trilogy has this to a limited extent (notably Kylo and Rey fight in the first movie, but to a lesser extent the preceeding fight between Kylo and Finn), but seems fairly prevalent in games (video games and PnP RPG's) for the franchise.
I should have said Strength based damage. It always struck me as odd that Jedi focused on swinging attacks rather than thrusting if the blade (rather than the pressure used to strike) was what does the damage. Making it based on Strength with a high armor divisor explains that style of fighting pretty well.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote