View Single Post
Old 10-03-2020, 02:20 PM   #4
isf

Default Re: The Skills that define a TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
One of the things that makes this hypothetical is that there is no specific character involved. It's simply a question that occurred to me reading Gurps books one night.

What skills do you see as essential for a TL 8 character to be TL 8? Do you have to have TL/8 Applied Math to be a TL 8 character? I think that the answer will depend on the specifics of the TL 12 setting. TL 12 Star trek would have different answers than TL 12 Transhuman Stars.

Quote:
However, it isn't about what skills would be useful to any specific character in the situation. It's a question of what 5 skills form the foundation of that TL?

I think that depends on the character: a lot of characters would benefit more from practical how to use skills rather than theoretical why does this work skills.

Quote:
It's the sort of thing that mostly gets hands waived at it. I think Back to School just says that you need 5 pts of general education to buy off a level of Low TL. I suspect our TL12 guys are lazy and aren't going to go to the trouble of inventing a general curriculum.

I don't think that 5pts of general education is a bad solution. How many of the TL skills would your average TL 8 person have? I'd see Current Affairs/TL 8, Computer Operation/TL 8, Driving/TL 8, and Electronics Operation (household)/TL 8 as the most common.