View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Help me Stat a complicated Possession Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trachmyr View Post
I’ve been working on a character for a while for a game that keeps getting postponed, hopefully that game will be starting soon, so I really need to nail down this ability, but I’ve had some difficulty figuring it out.

The character is a possessor entity, an alien consciousness that can move from human host to human host, often leaving previous hosts “attuned” for later possession. The character must touch the new host to possess them, but can jump between “attuned” hosts nearly instantly. The character also has full access to the individuals memory and skills, and is difficult to detect, and only need wait 24 Hours to reattempt a failed possession.
Sounds cool :)

Quote:
  • Possession[I] (Chronic +20%, Assimilation +10%, Cultural Assimilation +10%*, Full-Memory Access +10%, Cosmic: Can Learn Full Skill Level through Assimilation +50%, Reflexive (Only With Puppets) +28%, Low Signature +10%, Reduced Immunity +50%, Sense Based (Detect and Touch) -15%, Humans Only -40%)[I][/b] [130 Points][b]
* Cultural Assimilation allows the Host’s Languages and Cultural Familiarities to be gained through Asslimilation. Also, does Cosmic: Can Learn Full Skill Levels for +50% seem fairly priced?
I dont like Sense based on there. You already have to touch them as part of the normal power so how is this limiting them?
Where did Reduced Immunity come from? Does it increase your roll like Reliable or remove the Immunity if you fail penalty?
It sounds familiar but I cant find it.
I think most would rule that Cultural Assimilation is not needed with Full Access but adding it is a nice safety that would be fine in my game. I call those kinds of enhancements a special effect premium. It makes sure there are no arguments later since we discussed it when I looked at the sheet.
Can Learn full skill level seems overpriced since your only at -1 skill but ok.

Quote:
  • How would I build these abilities so that the entire affect is an all or nothing on one Resistance Roll? And to remove the possibility of additional resistance rolls (I remember seeing a thread where Invasive was suggested). For instance, if I allow the host to control their body, I want to be able to retake it without the need for a new contest (which could prove lethal using Possession)… same think with the additional resistance roll for forcing someone to kill themselves or act against their nature. Related issue, what is modifier to make Puppet affect not just Possession, but all abilities in the package.
On the avoiding resistnace rolls again when you let them ahve control just make them a puppet. If you dont make them a puppet by leaving the "back door" open then I would say once you give them control you would have to retake it using a contest again. And they would be aware so resist at +5!
If you control them you control them, Possession is total and they are not able to affect your control if they fail. To get them to do waht you want without control is the Mind Control power.

Ok for your partial Control I would say that is an enhancement on Possession. I would eyeball it at Selectivity.
This lets you let the host have full control, partial control or no control and in between up to you.
For the mental tricks and mind control well that gets a bit trickier.
I would say you need Mind Control with enhancements, Mental Illusion to do the kind of talking you want but no need for telesend.
Mind Probe not needed for most things but would be good as an alterantive ability for blocked or deep seated memories.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote