View Single Post
Old 04-16-2017, 04:41 PM   #1032
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post

So: A few questions.

* How often do you visit the Steve Jackson Games front page/Daily Illuminator?
Rarely for both, largely because the DI tends to be mostly Munchkin. I will occasionally click in and scan the posts to see if there's anything that's not munchkin. I don't MIND munchkin, but I've got a bunch of sets already, I'm not a collector, and my kids aren't quite old enough to play (though they soon may be). So mostly it's not of interest.

Edit: I should note that the DI comes to my email box each morning as well; I scan them and read them, but rarely click through since they're rarely GURPS-centric.

Quote:
* Do you follow any of our social media channels?
Twitter. Facebook. And yet I don't recognize a bunch of the twitter posts, which means that they get posted and buried very quickly. I have some suggestions there . . .

Quote:
* What can we do to put the news in front of you regularly?

The world is a flood of information, and it is our job to make sure _our_ information reaches you. We have clearly failed in this instance, so we are left trying to figure out the best way to alert you to news about new games and expansions.

I'm going to suggest you start or elevate an actual blog, maybe one per game line. I know that I've seen it said that the DI is perhaps considered (internally) the longest-running blog, etc (b/c it started before blogs were a thing, and it literally IS a Web-Log).

But . . . why not have a blog with short content? Press releases, etc. Do it on Blogger or Wordpress; you can certainly do your own site, but I'd go minimum effort. And either use categories (one blog, but categorized) or have one blog per product line.

Then each GURPSDay, said blog would automatically be included along with the 84 others. I can even guarantee it's the #1 post every week (I randomize all the others).

But if there were literally a www.sjgamesgurpsblog.com or www.sjgames.com/blogs/gurps (and of course you could have www.sjgames.com/blogs/carwars, etc) then those that care about a particular product line (except for poor Rob Kelk; I feel I must acknowledge his sorrow) that is supported can link to that RSS feed.

And with respect, remember that Sean and PK already have blogs or the equivalent (Sean's is on LiveJournal, with a reliable summary post each week, for example), and most of us follow them. They're definitely on the GURPSDay script pull. This should be something where the marketing department is in charge of getting the word out.

In fact, what it should look like and even contain, is the kind of stuff from the DF Kickstarter updates page. That's freakin' perfect, has great content, images. But you need to be part of the KS to see it.

I reposted most of my own KS announcements on my blog, and SJG could easily take all the great GURPS stuff already from the KS updates page and have content already available. I suspect most folks that aren't backers will simply ignore the nifty stuff that is going on there - and those are the folks you probably most want to reach.

I also will reiterate that if you make press releases and other info available, we can distribute it and link it to the blogs followed, which will see reshares on twitter and facebook and use the power of compound networks to increase reach.

Last edited by DouglasCole; 04-17-2017 at 08:05 AM.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote