View Single Post
Old 01-18-2020, 02:36 PM   #8
coronatiger

Default Session 11 (2020-01-12)

20th of Varatga, year 412

O Ashtar, Mother of Snakes, Keeper of Death’s Door, hear my confession!

My homeland, Arland, is sometimes called the Land of the Stone Circles. Xipil asked me about it while we rode along. I explained that there are stone circles scattered all around. Our people rarely bother with them, except as a source of building materials. I think foreigners add mystical importance to them that they don’t deserve. They’re just stones that our ancestors erected long ago, for whatever purpose they didn’t deign to share with their descendants. Now, the circles are toppled, overgrown and demolished. I told my companions that I’ve seen a couple of them, and that it isn’t worth the detour just to have a look.

O Ashtar! I surrender my life to Your coils. Take me while I sleep, or grant me another day in Your service, as You will.

21st of Varatga, year 412

The wagons rolled onwards, steadily climbing towards Fort Holte. Baldrian called a stop before we came into view of the city, and I asked him if he could help me smuggle a 15-pound box across the border. He told me he had to enter the city to arrange some things, and refrained from answering my question. He took his companion along, leaving the rest of us make camp, and to relax or stretch our legs, if we wanted to. I assumed he’d be able to answer me when he got back.

I talked for a while with Lunari, Xipil and Grogg. The dwarves kept to themselves. I asked my traveling companions if any of them knew much about medicine, herbs and the like. Xipil admitted to possess some knowledge about poisons, otherwise they were rather ignorant of the topic. I implore You to protect us from injury and sickness, but if You choose to test us with such afflictions, I have my medicine kit, and by Your gift, the skill to use it.

When the sun set, I made Your sign in recognition of the death of another day. I erected my tent and spent some time in prayer before brushing my teeth and going to bed. Lunari seems to be a ladies’ man, and I didn’t feel like fending off his advances when I could contemplate Your holiness instead.

O Ashtar! I surrender my life to Your coils. Take me while I sleep, or grant me another day in Your service, as You will.

22nd of Varatga, year 412

Baldrian and his friend returned early in the morning. I invited Baldrian to come inside my small tent. Lunari turned green with envy, and it was obvious his mind was in the gutter. Baldrian said he would take my box, and I retrieved it from the bottom of my backpack. No particularly damning items had to be revealed while I emptied the pack – they were hidden in my medicine kit – but my tiny red dress would certainly have set Lunari off had he seen it.

Baldrian went over to his wagon to hide my box among his, and I stuffed my belongings into my backpack again and packed down my tent. Lunari dismissed the dwarves, and they left, going back the way they had come.

Lunari had watched my tent carefully while Baldrian was inside with me, and had spotted the box. At breakfast, he asked what it contained. I told everyone it was salt, a gift from an acquaintance in Blekborg to one in Sam. They seemed content with the answer. Salt is much cheaper in the Prince’s Cities than it is in Arland.

We rode in Baldrians wagon into Fort Holte. He had to show his papers twice on the way in, but nobody searched the wagon. When the road steepened, Grogg had to get off. He’s nearly twice my height, and probably several times my weight. Baldrian had to display the papers again before we could leave the city, and then we were in the pass through the mountains. The road was for the most part relatively flat, but Grogg had to get off occasionally.

Baldrian said we needed to keep watch at night. As he and his companion hadn’t had much sleep last night, the duty fell on Lunari, Xipil, Grogg and me. I told the others I could take any of the watches, as I see fairly well, even at night. It’s colder up here in the heights, so Xipil had to beg a blanket from Baldrian. Grogg would take the first watch, so I pitched my tent, did my ablutions, and went to bed.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is online now   Reply With Quote